Aromatherapy massage or aromassage is an excellent way to apply essential oils as part of an alternative healing process. It is not hard to do and anyone can do it to family, friends, even to yourself. There are many different ways to apply aromassage:
- Effleurage - this is a series of gentle, soothing strokes which allow essential oils to penetrate your body and help you to relax and become calm. For this method, use your whole hands in either long or short strokes that can be either firm or gentle.
- Petrissage - is similar to gently kneading dough. Use the palm, finger tips and thumbs to slowly and gently knead the body. Petrissage is most helpful when used on fatty areas and on backs.
- Head massage - put the essential oils on your fingertips to massage the scalp. Work the fingers all over the scalp.
- For migraine and headaches - massage around the base of the neck and work your way up to the base of the scalp. Massage in this manner for a few moments with firm effleurage strokes.
- For the neck - massage the neck using small, firm circular movements from the base of the neck, up either side of the vertebrae to the base of the scalp. Massage the sides of the neck and repeat these movements in a more gentle fashion and work your way down the neck. Repeat several times using appropriate essential oils.
We will continue this blog with more areas for you to massage.